Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The End of Things As I Knew Them

Life, my friends, is all about change. That fact seems to ring especially true when you have small children at home. They take leaps and bounds in their lives every day, so change can be seen more frequently.

Recently, due to my small child, my life has changed exponetially. The change happened fast and has left me saddened and bewildered. My life will never quite be the same and some how I will have to find the courage and strength to go on.

You see, baby girl will no longer take a nap.

I've tried and still she can't be swayed. She began by coming out of her room and simply stating that she wasn't the least bit tired. I would quickly usher her back in and tell her she really was tired. So tired, in fact, that she wasn't thinking straight and should really get some sleep. This worked once. Maybe twice. Darling Violet is the clever sort and cannot easily be detered. She has found a new tact to nap avoidance that has worked quite well. She poops herself out of it.

Every day I put her down for the nap, she kisses me, and lays down nicely. 15 minutes later, she's at the top of the stairs proclaiming a full diaper that needs immediate changing. "It's gross Momma. And stinky. I need a new one please!" She yells so sweetly.

It's a pretty good trick. I haven't been able to find a way around this one. Any parent can tell you that this is one area that the kiddos are pretty much in control of. They say when, they say where, and they say how much.

I'd like to be able to say that I used nap time to be productive. That nap time is when I cleaned all the dust balls from behind the fridge and organized everyone's sock drawers. I'd like to tell you that. And maybe if fewer people who actually knew me read this blog, I'd be able to pull that story off. The real truth is that nap time was actually my free period. Choice time, as they say in kindergarten. I ate lunch in peace, I watched shows I recorded the night before, I read magazines. Lots and lots of magazines. Nap time was my time. Not that a mom's time is ever really her own, but this was as close as I got to it. And I shall miss it desperately.

I knew deep down that it wasn't going to last forever. Yet, I mourn it just the same. Bow your heads, my friends, and join me in a moment of silence. It just may be my last.

10 Comments:

Blogger Marianna said...

Would Benadryl work??

LOL

M~

11:05 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Maybe...Didn't Grannies used to put a shot of whiskey in the baby bottle to keep junior quiet? Ahhh, the good ole days.

6:31 PM  
Blogger foxymama said...

I truly feel for you dear Jenn. Been there, done that and I know just how you feel. But be of good cheer. Time will heal all and you'll find yourself looking back on all this as if it were yesterday. The bad news is...it'll take about 30 years, give or take a little. ~;^)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ahhh, thanks Foxy. She'll be in preschool soon, so I guess I should appreciate out alone time while we have it.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

Very well written! I loved this..it reminded me so much of when mine left nap times in the dust. Nowadays when I say it's naptime the boys know it's time to go downstairs to watch TV so they don't keep me awake as I slide down on the couch and reach for an afghan....
sigh...
Stacie

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oohh, that sounds nice Stacie! So I have that to look forward to? I feel better already!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Cattiva said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA!

Hold on there Mama! Sounds to me like the little girlie has your number! Do NOT give up so easily.

Granted, this kid is GOOD. She is VERY GOOD. She might even have a "how to manipulate your parents and get your own porsche" book. Seriously, this kid is a pro (meaning she is smarter than you and all the rest of us parents).

Do not despair. You actually have an opportunity to turn the tables on this future Mensa member. I suggest the tactic I took with my oldest, who was 3 when his baby sister was born and thus went back to diapers (I guess as a sign of protest). When a child has the vocabulary and where-with-all to describe his/her nasty diaper in detail, said kid should be able to change it his or herself.

I explained to my "little darling" that if he could lay on the floor, take his diaper off and hand me a clean one (saying "Mommy, I need a clean diapy") then he could very well finish the job himself.

I won't lie to you though. It is true that he was back on the potty in a week, but it had nothing to do with my "superior Mothering" skills. Instead, I chalk it up to the peer pressure of daycare.

C'est la vie.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Ella seems to be trying to transition to just one nap, and I am not amused, especially since the one nap scenario for her does NOT mesh with Gwen's napping schedule (whereas two naps for Ella often involved some overlap somewhere) so I basically have no time to myself all day. It's sad. Very, very sad.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

You never really appreciate something until it's gone, do you?

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I ALWAYS appreciated the naps. I'm sure you did too. :)

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home