Thursday, May 03, 2007

Jennifer and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days

The day started off with spiders. I hate spiders. For some reason the house has been full of them lately. And not just the tiny little ones, or the dust ones, but the big fat-butted ones. My dad mowed our lawn recently. I think he scared them into the inside of the house. One jumped out of the dishwasher soap bucket while I was filling it and made me cry (seriously!). I told my husband we need to move.

There's a 1st grade teacher at Lila's school that many people are complaining about. "She's tough, she's mean, she's insensitive," they all keep saying. "Make sure Lila doesn't end up with her!" They keep telling me. So at PTA during the "questions, comments, and suggestions about our school" segment - I brought it up.
"What's going on with this teacher?" I asked. "I've been hearing a lot of complaints. I'm starting to get concerned for Lila next year."
*crickets chirping*
Did I mention almost every other parent on the board is a 1st grade parent? No one said a word. I felt like an ass. A giant, fat-butted spider ass.
The principal shot me down and said that PTA meetings were not a good place to discuss these matters, even though it's a parent-teacher organization and there's no other forum around to discuss this stuff. We moved on and I felt this big. Stupid parents. They left me twisting in the wind.

There was another spider in the living room before I went to bed. I kept one eye on American Idol and one eye on him. I left a note on the door for my husband to kill him. "Take no prisoners!" I said. And I meant it.


Violet and I had music class this morning. That went well, except for the fact that I was wearing socks with holes in them and we have to take our shoes off in class. I tried to hide the holes, but Violet kept saying "Look a big hole! And another one there too! Are there holes in your shirt too Mom?" Which there wasn't, but you know everyone was looking just to see if there was. They all looked like they got dressed right out of the Lands End catalog and the kids were all sporting Baby Gap. I had holes in my socks and Violet was rocking the Hand-Me-Down chic look. Oh, and she wouldn't let me brush her hair either. Then Violet kept plucking the teacher's guitar while she was playing a song. Nancy (she's the teacher. Very nice, lovely voice) had to keep flickingViolet's hand away. Oh, and there was that one incident when Violet got bored, pulled her pants up to her boobs and said "I look like Nanny!" Apparently Nanny needs some Lands End Lo-Rider Trousers.

When I got home from music class there was a message on the machine from a parent that was at last night's PTA meeting. I called her back and she gave a small chastising for bringing the subject up. "That's not really what I feel PTA should be about. I'm uncomfortable talking about a teacher behind her back." Did I mention she's one of the parents complaining? She did agree the subject needs to be discussed, but not there, and she has no idea where. She's a nice lady, very friendly and all, but I think she needs a spine. Can she get that at Lands End?

There was a spider over the bathroom door this morning. I had to kill it myself and I hate doing that. I also had to throw a stack of books at a big black ant, too.

Terrible. No Good. Very Bad.
An Alexander day

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Marianna said...

Ok. Seriously, I'm scratching right now, thinking about your spiders! WHAT KIND ARE THEY?! They're not like tarantulas, are they?!

I can't believe they made you feel bad at a PTA meeting. Where else do you discuss issues regarding TEACHERS?! HELLO.

M~

3:43 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I have no idea what kind they are. Maybe some sort of garden spider? Oh man, if it was tarantula I'D DIE!!!!!

I just got the minutes to the PTA meeting from last night emailed to me and there was no mention of this subject in there. It's like it never even happened. Except, it did and now what do I do??

4:26 PM  
Blogger Marianna said...

Exactly! What do you do? Who can you talk to? The principal directly? The school board? Ugh. I'd at least set up an appointment with the principal & discuss your issues. I don't understand a PTA that won't discuss PARENT issues.

M~

4:05 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

The principal said she would be happy to talk to me to address my concerns, but my concerns were based on what others had said and if they won't say anything I end up looking like an idiot.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Nature Girl said...

YIKES, SPIDERS??? Uh..No thanks! I don't DO spiders! Uh uh..nope..not me.

About that pta meeting. I think it's dirty pool that they left you hanging out there like that! A similar thing happend in one of the schools our kids attended. We got the horrid teacher everyone warned us about, and I had to dance with the devil to get him switched out. It was awful, stand your ground from the beginning to avoid that. Take my word for it...just insist that your child not be put in that class (or is she the only teacher for that class?) I hope that's not the case..yikes.
Good luck!
Stacie
ps...it's good to see you posting again!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks Stacie, it's nice to be back. Thankfully, she's not the only first grade teacher. The whole thing has just made me uncomfortable, I feel like an idiot for bringing it up. I have to make an appointment with the principal to talk about this. I'm curious what she's going to say.

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home