Wednesday, January 04, 2006

If I didn't steal the damn grapes to begin with....

"Ah more, Mama?"

We're cruising through the grocery store and Violet is eating grapes we haven't paid for yet.

"Here you go, babe." I hand her two more.

"Thank you!" She says back in a sweet little sing-song voice.

Then we get to the register and it all goes bad the moment I hand the bag of grapes to the cashier.

"NOOOOO MINE!! MAMAAAAAAAAA!" Violet is doing her trade mark squeel. It's a new character trait of hers that none of us are fond of.

"Babe, we have to pay for them. You can have them right back."

"NOOOOOO!!!" More squeeling. The people behind us are giving me looks. The cashier is giving me looks. Even the old lady searching for the Pal Mals looks up.

I smile at the cashier. "She likes grapes" I say with shrug. I take my change and scramble for a few more grapes so we can leave. At the car, Violet wants her pen and paper at the exact moment I'm trying to buckle her in the carseat.

"I write Mama! I write!"

"Yes babe, I just need to buckle you in first." I'm struggling to get her arm through the strap.

"OW! OW! Mama! No!"

Now the cart kid is eyeballing me, I'm sure wondering what on earth I'm doing to the poor baby. After some more screaming and shoving I finally manage to get her in and situated with her paper and pen and we're off for home. I hate when we're the center of attention at the grocery store. All that staring, they probably think I beat her or something. Well, in their defense, I did bring her in looking like this:



She fell off the kitchen chair, I swear!
Err..I think we should just stay home for awhile.

4 Comments:

Blogger darrylmasterson said...

it's like that time your nephew Ian started crying and said "mommy don't hurt me!" when his mom was trying to wash his face in the parking lot!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That was funny cause it happened to her, not me!

5:48 AM  
Blogger foxymama said...

When he was a toddler, Older Sonny informed the doctor (at a regular physical) that I beat him and he hoped the Dr. would find it and fix it. I was horrified! I never touched him! Well, except to kiss and hug him and move him from one place to another. I laughed nervously and asked the Dr. if he was going to arrest me here or in the parking lot. He laughed. He knew us. He reassured me that kids said things like that alot and not to worry about it. I've never gotten over it. What would make OS say a thing like that?! Ei yi yi...

8:19 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh my..I would have been horrified! I've been told by the dr. that if your kid has a black eye to not send them to school because the teacher will report it to children's services. If that's the case, this kid will never go to school! She's such a climber something is always bruised up!

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home