Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I've been voted off the island!

It is now official - I am the Bad Momma. So bad, in fact, that my oldest would like me to go on Wife Swap. For those of you who've never seen the show or *shudder* no tv, Wife Swap is a show where you trade your mom for two weeks for another. The drawback is that you don't get to pick the new wife/mom, the show picks her for you, sometimes with horrific results.

I'm sure you're wondering what vile, heinous act I committed that would cause my daughter to want to rid herself of me ? Here it is - I limited her computer time. Before you commence with the stone throwing hear me out. The girl was spending hours and hours on Instant Messaging. She was getting sore wrists from all the typing and backaches from being hunched over the screen for so long. She may have stopped breathing for long stretches, it's hard to be sure because she was so quiet. So conversations have been going something like this the past couple of days:

Her: Butit'sfunandIlikeitanditgivesmesomethingtodosowhyisitsobad?!

Me: Chocolate with almonds is great, and I like it, but I can't eat it all the time because that wouldn't be good for me, right?"

Her: I hate almonds. There's nothing else to do.

Me: You could read, or play with your sisters...

That's where I stop because I can see her tuning me out.

I have given her two hours a day to use the computer which is an hour more than my husband thought she should get. Her friends don't have limits which is making this even harder. Most of them don't have any supervision either because one popped up with a swastika logo next to his name. Idiot. My girl is naive, so she had no idea what it was. And it's the naivete that scares me because of all the internet predators out there.

So the limit stands. I mentioned the idea of using extra computer minutes as rewards for good test grades or chores. She perked right up at that thought. It looks there may be hope on the horizon for our precious young lass. As for Wife Swap, I'm hoping not to be shipped out. But if I do have to go, I'm hoping for a house with a maid and live in nanny!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are to funny!!
I agree that there has to be boundaries for this kind of stuff and it will be hard. But in the long run she will thank you for it. I always said that the tv commercial about the kids that say they hate their mother and than thank them in the end and it goes Who, What, When and Where was created after me as I lived and breathed that method.
I also think the earned time is a good thing, if I had more children I might have used this technique.
Just remember they always love you no mater what and it could be worse she may come to you in a few years with something like wanting a boob job!! ( lol private joke did you get it?)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Who ever do I know that would want a boob job! ;)

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well,I don't think want is the correct answer, I think wanted was what you mean!!!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yeah, the swastika was scary. I went on about it so much that she asked him to change it, and he did. He probably did know what it was, that idea is even scarier to me.

2:25 PM  
Blogger darrylmasterson said...

can't we just lock her in her room for the next eight years...??

I think I'd sleep better that way.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm locking Wendy in the closet forever, AND, there will be no boob jobs here, AND, the swastika kid is an idiot. Was it TOT?

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home